Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I wanted to destroy something beautiful....

Well here it goes again. It's time for me to see how long I can blog and retain a cohesive theme, thought, stream of words together until either you the reader, or myself the writer get bored and stop. But first, some updates.

I finished the Chicago Sprint Triathlon 2 weeks ago with a time of 1:47:30. Next year I do the full thing, and enter the 'Clydesdale' division. I know I'm capable of more, and it's high time I push myself to that (more on that later).

I'm still in Dallas.

High Fructose Corn Syrup won the food challenge and $75 is going to Sweet Tea's choice of Charity. No, this cannot sponsor your weekend drinking. Honorable mention goes to Taco Bell. I NEVER eat Taco Bell, but twice during the challenge I was tempted into her delicious arms, nuzzled up to a quesadilla and tacos.

I've joined the countless others on Match.com to see who else is out there (find me single ladies)

My car has been broken into for the second time. I'd blog more about this, but I'll leave it at the fact that I'm pissed (this is the 2nd time), and I'm ready for the war on drugs to go after users and not the suppliers, because without users, there would be no demand, and with no demand, there should be no supply. Simple economics, Congress, see if you can figure that out with your one-sided, my way or the highway simple minded, don't own a passport bullshit.

Seriously, did you know a good percentage of Congress doesn't own a passport? That means that members in charge of our government haven't even been to Canada. Why is this a big deal? Don't assume we are the greatest country (and in my experience, we are) until you've got some facts from other countries to back it up first hand.

WOOH! That got heated pretty quickly.

So the title of this blog....it's a quote from the book Fight Club. What? Fight Club was a book? Yes, Fight Club is a book, and a movie was based on it. The quote is meant to be a form of anarchy. Basically, destroying something (in the case of the novel, the Mona Lisa) for the sake of doing it, and to gain attention. There are further questions asked within the context of the quote, such as, "Which is worse? Hell, or nothing?" An interesting question if you were to really sit down and think about it. Would it better to have loved and lost? or never to have known love at all, would also go along with this.

So for the record, I am not going to start Project Mayhem, or my own Fight Club. I admit, I have a growing interest in boxing, but I think I have too much of a glass jaw to seriously consider getting into the sport. The work ethic behind it seems like something I could learn to aspire to. From the quote though, I have been trying to get myself more active, not only physically but also mentally in my free time. I'm trying to be more constructive with my time, reading (currently I have 2 books with a 3rd in reserve going), and painting. As far as destroying something 'beautiful', I am really thinking about painting over (destroying) some of my previous works. I have a few paintings I've held onto since college, and I'm getting to a point with them, that I just don't feel a connection to them. I'm very proud of several of my works, but a few I look at them now, and just see something I'm not proud of.

This whole thought process of destroying something and starting over, really does intrigue me. I think part of why I've been experimenting with new things, and trying to be more outgoing is me just trying to do something more than what I normally do and break out of myself. I'm a big person on saying, "lets do this!" and then never doing anything. Skydiving has been that for me for the longest time. Thankfully, I got out of my apartment and finally did it last month (geez it's been a month already). Tattoos are next (2 weeks hopefully) and then, I don't know what's after that.

I've just felt tired lately. Maybe I'm stir crazy, or maybe being in Dallas 4 days a week and interacting with my computer almost non-stop is starting to get to me, but I've just been wanting a change. I should consider myself lucky I guess, most people get to a mid-life crisis at 40, myself at 25, I'm blowing the lid off on it.

Switching gears, the Triathlon was awesome. I almost drowned during the swim portion, and the bike section went much slower for me than I expected, but I still loved it. Now that I have one out of the way, I know what to expect. I learned one thing from this whole training, competing experience: I need to push myself harder. There is so much more I can be capable of. There's greatness in me (and everyone for that matter), it's just a matter of tapping into it and refining it. I ran the 5k portion of the race with a 9:55 pace, after an exhausting swim, and hilly bike ride. I started off my training at that pace. Imagine what I could be capable of if I pushed myself harder in training? If I knew exactly how my body would react to each transition, and if I tested my limits each and every week. I think we just scratch the surface of what we all can do, so I'm determined that while training for the next race, I'm going to push myself as much as I can do bring out the best of me.

And.......next topic. I went to South Bend this past weekend and enjoyed the Opening Game between Notre Dame and Purdue. It was a great weekend I must say. Notre Dame won (I'm now 4-0 in games I attend) and I got to hang out with friends and my brother throughout the whole thing. Don't think I can ask for more.

I did learn from the weekend that I need to start to separate people I know, with people I've just met as far as vocal filters go. While getting a ride from someone, I commented (in my sarcastic manner, so this person has a right to be upset) that maybe they should pay attention to the road and not the person in the seat next to them. Yea, that comment got me ditched at the bar we went to along w/ my buddy. I think she was more salty in the fact that I was paying attention with conversations and answered her questions when she decided it was "Quiz Time" at the bar. Ladies who want to take advantage of me in the future, 2 beers won't get me drunk. That just gets the party started :)

All right folks, I'm going to book my vacation, then watch a little tv and go to bed. Please feel free to keep in touch.

1 comment:

  1. Fight Club is in my list of books to read. As I've read a significant chunk of Palahniuk's other works and love them.

    I'm still jealous of you going skydiving. I need to just bite the bullet and do it, but it's so flippin' expensive it's hard for me to justify it (esp if I love it to the point I want to do it over and over, a la SCUBA).

    Tattoos?! FUN! What are you getting? I've had an idea in the works for a year plus, there's just no artists around DC who've been highly recommended :(

    And I'm making it my goal to do a Tri next year. Sprint distance, as I'm too wimpy for other distances. And I'm joining an Iron Girl relay team to do the swim!

    Woohoo. Long comment.

    ReplyDelete