Monday, July 19, 2010

So I'm actually making a post within a month of the last one. Who's excited? All 10 of you I'm sure :)

I'm taking advantage of the fact that I receive per diem on my trips down here to Dallas. Every once in a while I get to treat myself to a fine meal that is overpriced, but makes up for the salads I normally eat. Tonight I had my second experience at Tom Colicchio's 'CRAFT.'

On this excursion I had a Wagyu Skirt streak with sweet corn, and for desert a chocolate bread pudding with cherries jubilee and vanilla ice cream. Let's start with the steak. The meat was well cooked (medium), very tender, and was truly a great cut of meat. Unfortunately, the meat was served a little cold and the sauce that accompanied the dish wasn't my favorite. I should stress that neither of these factors was enough to make me not finish the whole dish, so obviously it wasn't that bad. Again, for the second meal in a row, I felt that the side dishes really shined. The sweet corn was magnificent. I want to say some thyme and other spices were added, but it was a great compliment to the meal.

With desert, I was expecting some kind of soaked bread in chocolate, but instead was met with a sponge of chocolate bread (almost cake) that melted in my mouth and with the touch of cherries that was added, really thought I was in eating cake. Overall the meal gets a 3.5/5, mostly brought down by my meal being served slightly cold. I can't say I blame the chef or staff though as they had to time a lamb dish and my steak, which I'm sure through them off a bit.

Enough about the meal though. This past weekend my older brother, his fiance', one of my cousins and his wife all came in from NYC to Chicago for the weekend. A few bumps met them along the way here, but once they arrived I had an amazing time with them. They caught the Cubs game Saturday (unfortunately the only loss in a 4 game home-stand against the Phillies) and then sampled the local Goose Island Brews. Our waitress wound up being one of the most knowledgeable people on beer and was quick to give us all a recommendation on what to try based on what we had already consumed. Unfortunately for me, when I said, "I would love a surprise." she greeted me with a Bomber of "Demolition" which, while tasty, set me up for a constant state of being buzzed for the remainder of the night. \

After Goose Island I met up with a friend for her a BBQ she was hosting. I played some corn-hold with some folks and was quickly eliminated in my first game. It can be such a frustrating game when you get matched shot for shot each game, then make an error that gets capitalized on. But, that's how the breaks of the game go.

It was actually funny, but I now have a large scar on my shin, caused by a mishap in my training for the triathlon. So while at this party, the scab opened up a little due to drinking, and I got to answer what happened to me about every 10 minutes. I really love it when someone who's had one too many asks you a question you've answered several times already. In those situations, I feel like you have three responses.

1.) Give your truthful answer, be patient and just deal with it. After all, I chose to wear shorts during a 90 degree day in Chicago.
2.) Provide a large outburst about how I'd already answered several times already
3.) Make up a story.

My personal favorite is number three. Every once in a while you get someone just gullible enough to believe whatever I say and it makes for a good laugh.

Anyway, back to center Hanging out at the BBQ made me remember how important it is for me to take advantage of being home when I am to see everyone. I feel like I've been losing touch with people, and it's actually very important for me to make sure I don't lose all of the connections I've made over the years. It also reaffirmed for me that summer is quickly fading, and that I need to take advantage of every single day I'm not in Texas.

To wrap up tonight's post, shout out to Hamster. His birthday is this Wednesday. There will be a party Saturday for all who want to partake. Come join and be merry.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment