Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ohhh Boy I found 'da club, and I'm the main course

So yea, this is my third post today, but I had to share this. So everyone I've talked to from Hyderabad has told me that the world famous Novotel (see link below), the hotel I'm staying at, has one of the best clubs in the city. It's supposed to be the biggest bar in the city (according to it's website).

So for the 1 week I've been here, I've been looking for this bar that's supposed to literally be inside my hotel. The only thing I was able to find was a tiny bar that has a 20 inch TV that each time I've been in, has been showing Wrestling. So I finally realize tonight that the address for the bar is for the Convention Center attached to the hotel. So I go talk a walk around the hotel and BAM!!!! there's the entrance to this magical club, Excess.

Being a Sunday night, it's closed of course, which is fine. But as I turn around to come home, I notice the club rules posted on the wall. Well I was intrigued, so I took a look and read down list. Most were pretty standard: No outside food or drink, if you are wasted already, we won't let you in, attire is smart casual (i.e. no shorts, no tshirts, no sandals).

So I see these rules, and I'm thinking, "Ok, this seems like a pretty legit place of business." I can clean myself up and go try to get my swerve on. That is until I see one more rule tucked away.

"Club is for COUPLES ONLY"

Seriously Excess? Couples only?

I would rant more about the fact that a bar is couples only, but I'm sure there's more to the story. Maybe it's a swingers bar? Maybe there's a cultural difference I'm being insensitive to? Or maybe they just want to make sure there's a 1:1 ratio of girls to guys. I don't know.

If anyone wants to do some research and shed some light for me, that'd be clutch. I'm willing to bet there's a reasonable explanation, but it just seems like a very odd rule.


I also continue to be the main course for the mosquitoes who live in the swamp next to my hotel. Now my ankles, left bicep, and knuckles, are all bitten. Yes, those bastard little bugs bit my knuckles. Do you know what a hassle it is to have a bug bite on your knuckle? It sucks, because every time you move your fingers it's like you are just barely scratching the bite, and then it just gets worse.

Ok, tomorrow is another big day. If there are any requests for types of posts, please let me know. I haven't had any crazy dreams worth mentioning for the past two nights. I think drinking beer helps counter-act the craziness. More to come though........

1 comment: